BURBANK, Calif. (March 22, 2018) – DC will host a Batman birthday bash honoring the 80th anniversary of the iconic Super Hero Batman at this year’s WonderCon, taking place in Anaheim on March 29-31.
A Star-Studded Lineup of Bat-Guests Will Join Fans In Honoring
the Dark Knight’s 80th Anniversary at Special Birthday Panel Event on March 30
For the eight decades since Gotham City millionaire socialite Bruce Wayne donned the cape and cowl, Batman has served as a symbol of determination, bravery and justice to generations of fans across comic books, movies, television, video games and more. On Saturday, March 30 from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m., DC celebrates this incredible pop culture milestone by assembling a panel that will be the talk of WonderCon! This panel features legendary talents who have contributed to The Dark Knight’s 80-year legacy:
David Mazouz, stars as a young Bruce Wayne on the hit TV series Gotham
Kevin Conroy, renowned voice of Batman in the fan-favorite Batman: The Animated Series and Batman: Arkham video games
Lee Meriwether, who starred in the 1960’s Batman movie as Catwoman
Roger Craig Smith, the voice of Batman in the Batman: Arkham Origins video game and the popular animated film Batman: Ninja
Jim Lee, DC Publisher, Chief Creative Officer and BATMAN: HUSH artist
Grace Randolph, host of “Behind The Trailer” and Batman pop culture expert
Highlighted by the release of the publishing milestone issue of DETECTIVE COMICS #1000 and the retrospective hardcover DETECTIVE COMICS: 80 YEARS OF BATMAN: DELUXE EDITION, both out this month, Batman’s seminal history on the page will also be recognized at WonderCon with a “DC Celebrates 80 Years of Batman Comics” panel featuring top DC writers and artists including Greg Capullo, Sam Humphries, Tom King, Joëlle Jones, Scott Snyder and Peter J. Tomasi. Taking place Friday, March 29 from 3:30-4:30 p.m., this panel honors the comic book legacy of the most popular single Super Hero ever created.
WonderCon will also host several spotlight panels featuring top DC talent who have all contributed to Batman’s enduring legacy on the page including Capullo, Jones, King, Andy Kubert, Lee, Tim Sale, Liam Sharp, Alex Sinclair, Tomasi and more. For more details, a full list of panels can be found here. Furthermore, the cover to this year’s official WonderCon Souvenir Program will honor Batman and the milestone issue of DETECTIVE COMICS #1000 with an exclusive illustration by Lee Weeks (BATMAN, BATMAN/ELMER FUDD SPECIAL #1).
DC’s spectacular booth (#1101) will be a can’t-miss destination for fans, featuring DC’s iconic characters and exciting releases including special fan giveaways, a display of Batman cowls from Warner Bros Archives and a packed signing schedule with appearances from the biggest names in comics. Fans visiting the booth will also have the chance to put themselves on Jim Lee’s cover of the milestone issue of DETECTIVE COMICS #1000 with a special, must-see green screen photo booth experience!
Nearby, the Graphitti Designs booth (#1001) will also have exclusive variant issues of DC’s hottest comics including DETECTIVE COMICS #1000 with a variant cover by Jim Lee, Scott Williams and Alex Sinclair, available for $25 while supplies last. Other available variants will feature covers by artists Nick Derington (DIAL H FOR HERO #1), Mitch Gerads (HEROES IN CRISIS #7), Jorge Jimenez (JUSTICE LEAGUE #20), Jim Lee (SHAZAM! #4), Francis Manapul (ACTION COMICS #1009), and Lee Weeks (BATMAN #67). Each of these will feature a silver foil finish and sell for $15 apiece, while supplies last. Fans can pick up the official WonderCon T-shirt as well, featuring commissioned art by Weeks.
The Caped Crusader will be the cornerstone of the DC WonderCon panel schedule, with a DC Batman panel every single day of the show, alongside additional programming honoring the best characters in pop culture (panelists and panel times are subject to change).
Friday, March 29
- 3:30-4:30 p.m. DC CELEBRATES 80 YEARS OF BATMAN – Eighty years after his first appearance in DETECTIVE COMICS, Batman endures as one of the most iconic heroes in history. Join a star-studded panel of industry talent including Joëlle Jones (CATWOMAN), best-selling Batman creative team Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo (BATMAN: THE LAST KNIGHT ON EARTH), Tom King (BATMAN), Becky Cloonan (DETECTIVE COMICS #1000) and Peter J. Tomasi (DETECTIVE COMICS) as they discuss the World’s Greatest Detective at this must-see panel moderated by Sam Humphries (HARLEY QUINN). Room: North 200B
- 5:30-6:30p.m. THIS IS YOUR DC UNIVERSE – DC fans will get an in-depth look at the ground-breaking digital subscription service designed just for fans, DC UNIVERSE. The panel will feature the latest news on original live-action and animated series Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing and Young Justice: Outsiders, alongside a closer look at the incredible line-up of legendary DC films, epic animated movies, comic books, exclusive merchandise and more! Fans attending the panel will receive a show exclusive poster featuring the cast of the DC UNIVERSE series Doom Patrol! Room: North 200B
Saturday, March 30
- 12:00–1:00 p.m. DC SUPER HERO GIRLS VIDEO PRESENTATION AND Q&A – Fresh off their brand-new series on Cartoon Network, the DC Super Hero Girls are coming to WonderCon! The world may know them as Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Batgirl, but not-so-typical teenagers Diana, Kara and Barbara, alongside their Super Hero friends, have much more to deal with than just protecting the citizens of Metropolis from some of the most sinister school-aged Super-Villains of the DC Universe. After all, being teens is tough enough, what with school, friends, family and the chaos that comes with managing a social life. But add super powers and a secret identity to the mix, and things can get a lot more complicated. Join executive producer Lauren Faust (My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends) and other members of the creative team as they share new footage and answer fan questions! DC Super Hero Girls airs Sundays on Cartoon Network (check local listings). North 200A.
- 2:30–3:30 p.m. DC MEET THE PUBLISHERS – Come hear firsthand the latest on the World’s Greatest Super Heroes from DC publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee. Combining humor, breaking news and filled with lots of surprises, this panel is the perfect place to find out what the Publishers have in store for your favorite DC heroes and villains. Room: North 200B
- 3:30–4:30 p.m. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BATMAN! – Calling all Batfans! Batman’s official birthday bash will be the can’t-miss panel of WonderCon. Join the all-star panel featuring David Mazouz, Jim Lee, Lee Meriwether, Kevin Conroy, Roger Craig Smith, and Grace Randolph to celebrate the Caped Crusader and his many incarnations across film, television, animation, games and comics. Room: North 200B
Sunday, March 31
- 10:30-11:30 a.m. DC BATMAN ART ACADEMY – Sharpen your pencils and bring your notebooks because class is in session! To commemorate the milestone 80th birthday of the iconic Batman, a fan-favorite lineup of artists including Bernard Chang, Ryan Benjamin, and Mikel Janin will offer a unique look into their visual approaches to one of the greatest heroes of all-time – Batman! Room: 210
- 1:30–2:30 p.m. A LEGACY OF EVIL – CREATING DC VILLAINS – From The Joker to Lex Luthor, Black Manta and more, DC has created a legacy of the greatest villains in all of pop culture. A well-crafted adversary drives the plot of any story but most of all, they are the makers of Super Heroes. Come meet some of the writers and artists who’ve put their mark on the most wicked characters in the DC universe including Joëlle Jones (CATWOMAN), Scott Snyder (BATMAN: THE LAST KNIGHT ON EARTH), Sam Humphries (HARLEY QUINN), Joshua Williamson (JUSTICE LEAGUE ODYSSEY), Cecil Castellucci (FEMALE FURIES), and Adam Glass (TEEN TITANS). Room: 213AB